These Red Velvet Cupcakes are part of the American tradition as soon as we talk about children cakes. So in an effort to please both our children and the entire family, let’s prepare these amazing Cupcakes !
First, here is the list of the different ingredients you will need to prepare the Red Velvet Cupcakes that makes approximately 24.
- 350 g (14 oz or 2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 160 g (1 1/2 stick) butter room temperature
- 350 g (1 1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 250 ml (10 oz or 1 cup) buttermilk
- 1 tsp vinegar (white or apple cider can both work)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp red food color
- 300 g (1 1/3 cup) cream cheese, room temperature
- 400 g (2 1/4 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 200 g (1 cup) butter, room temperature
Now, here are the different steps you will need to follow to make the Red Velvet Cupcakes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/396°F. Line a 12 space fairy cake tin with paper baking cases.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside.
In a mixer, mix the butter and sugar until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time. In a second bowl, pour the buttermilk, food colouring, vinegar, vanilla and mix well. Combine this red mix into the sugar/butter bowl and mix well. Then, add the flour/cocoa powder and mix on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Mix until just combined and do not over mix.
Pour the batter in the paper baking cases and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden stick inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
For the icing
Whip the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer until creamed. Gradually add the icing sugar to the mixture, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add a little bit of vanilla and mix until combined.
Spread the icing over the top of the cakes and serve.