The best way to enjoy this Lam Casserole is to choose a robust wine that you would happily drink for this lamb Casserole and serve the dish with its small Potatoes and carrots: One of my favourite at laclassedecuisine.com !
Ingredients for 4 People :
- 800 gr ( 2 lb) lamb neck fillets, cut into 4 cm (1 1/2 inch) pieces
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary and 1 of thyme
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 12 new potatoes, peeled, left whole
- 300 ml ( 1 1/4 cup) Madeira wine
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat half the vegetable oil in a frying pan. Season the lamb pieces and fry for five to 10 minutes until golden-brown all over.
Whilst the lamb is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a separate casserole dish. Fry the onion and carrots for five minutes until browned. Add the tomato puree and cook for five more minutes.
Drain the lamb in a colander. Pour the Madeira wine into the frying pan, bring to a boil and scrape the sediment from the bottom of the pan. Add the vegetables and the fresh herbs in the casserole dish with the lamb pieces and the vegetable stock. Let simmer for about one hour, half covered.
After half the time of cooking, uncover, add the new potatoes and continue to cook the remaining time. To serve, spoon into large bowls and scatter over some left chopped thyme. Enjoy !