Ingredients for 4 to 6 people:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 large leek, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 knob butter
- 250 ml (8 oz) semi-skimmed milk or white wine
- 1 small handful curled parsley
- 400 g (13oz) white fish such as cod or haddock and Salmon cut into bite sized pieces or chunks.
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash
- 1/2 pack light puff pastry, cut in half.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F) . Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the leek and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the butter, allowing it to melt, then stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes then slowly pour in the milk or white wine, stirring constantly and simmer until thickened. Season and stir in, parsley and fish.
Divide the mixture between 2 individual pie dishes or like me in a big pie dish. Brush the rim of the dish with egg. Cut thin strips of pastry and stick around the edge, then brush the pastry edges with egg and place a sheet of pastry on top of each pie.
Brush the lids with egg, make a little hole in each to allow the steam to escape and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown for individuals or 30 to 35 minutes for a big pie dish until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve the pie hot.